Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dinner at Vinny's

I love Vinny's Italian Grill.. always have, always will. However, there is almost nothing on that menu for fatties tryin to slim.

So yesterday my parents offered to buy us food. Sounds good I say.. let me go look at the menu to see what I can eat that is low cal. First off, Vinny's doesn't offer a nutrional menu.. so I was blindly choosing something that felt low cal.

Italians are fat. They have to be.. how in the world can someone have a menu like that and not be!!! Vinny's sells a few fish dishes, but they are served over pasta. I doubt that is whole wheat pasta. So.. I skipped the fish. Vinny's has salads... but I had a salad for lunch, so I skipped the salad. Last Veggie sub I had tasted like crap.. so I skipped the veggie sub.

drum roll.... my decision. I decided to go with the club sub. I skipped the mayo and dropped the cheese. I'm sure the bacon wasn't fantastically calorized to fit in my budget.. but a little fat never killed anyone. I think the mayo and cheese probably dropped about 300 calories. I had 1/2 of my sub and a handful of onion rings (bad.. I know) but yesterday I had a bagel for breakfast and a grilled chicken salad for lunch.. and nothing else. So I felt it was alright.

Don't go to vinny's if your dieting. I like to go to applebees and panera bread. These 2 places are the best at serving up good portion sized meals with low calories. Applebees has an entire WW menu section that lists calories. I'm going to eat there next.

3 comments:

CindyLou said...

I would be wary of menu items tagged as "guilt-less" or "low-cal" or whatever gimmick they say. There was a study done just recently where folks went in to restaurants and ordered off the "guilt-less" menu, then took the meals to a lab to test them and compare them to the nutritionals the restaurant gave, the results were SHOCKING. Something contained 2x the calories and fat that the restaurants said they did. I think it all depends on the person cooking the food and how well they follow the instructions given to them by the corporate office. Bottom line is to use your common sense. If something is dripping in cheese sauce and oil, chances are that it's not as low-cal/low-fat as they say.

Roxanna said...

I love Panera... I think I want to go there today for lunch seems like a soup day to me...

Jenn M said...

I agree with you cindy!!! I usually aim for soups and salads... or like last night I got a sub. It was lunch meat (I got the club) and I know in a range about how many cals are in lunch meat. I know in range about how many cals is in bacon and thats why I skipped the cheese and mayo but I added onions and banana peppers. I put my own FF mayo on it when I got it. I know if its something I eat at home I can range the calories.

My sister had baked Ziti.. - BITCH

Death by Cheeseburgers, Cheesecakes and
Cheesesteaks!